New city, new friends

Two weeks ago we went on a little journey with some experiences and moments I didn't expect. Sunday evening, we took the train to Stockholm to participate in the On-Arrival-Training for Monday. Through the first trip by train 2 months ago to Luleå, I have learned to love the train rides, especially the night trains. At least when there are no snoring people in the same compartment with you.
On the way to the folkhögskola, we met the first volunteers. Already then, the openness and curiosity of the other volunteers was noticeable to me. Something that I welcome very much, because I always need some time to open up to others. 

Within the first hours in the folkhögskola I realized, that we get along pretty well with the other volunteers. We laughed and talked together while we shared some of our experiences and moments from our months here in Sweden. We were all eager to get to know each other better and just to have a great time in Stockholm.

I noticed that maybe we get along so well, because we are all volunteers with the same goals. We want to get to know a new country, help other people, discover a new culture, improve ourselves by trying everyday to do something good for others and over all: to do something good for ourselves too. It is almost crazy how people who have never seen each other before create such a connection within such a short time. And over the time I  had the feeling that some of those poeple had been always with me. Of course it is clear that you cannot know people completely within a week. But it was enough for me to see what kind of people they are: some of them are extroverted and some of them needed time to open up (like me). But we were all together. No one was excluding the other one. We were supporting each other and those are important aspects for being a volunteer. These days were heartwarming, fun and special. I am grateful that I could spend my time with them.
 

We may have started the week with strangers, but we ended it with friends.

-by Valeria Elsholz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Transformative Journey: Finding Purpose in a Good Seed Project

Jamal

A new chapter